Ozone generators are popular when it comes to removing pollutants from the interior of their homes, offices, warehouses, and vehicles. They are useful at getting rid of odors, especially those whose source you can’t detect.
Furthermore, operating the device is easy whether you are using a portable ozone generator for a car or the normal one. You only have to configure it, turn the power on, and leave it for a specific time.
So, how long should you run an ozone generator in your vehicle? The time it should take to run an ozone generator in a car will depend on many factors such as the type of odor, vehicle size, and intensity of the smell.
That being said, you will need to run an ozone generator for between 30 and 120 minutes to eliminate most odors from your car.
Slight odors can be eliminated within 15 minutes. On the other hand, some smells are so intense that you must repeat the treatment several times to get a better result.
Can you run an ozone generator for too long?
You can run a car ozone generator for a prolonged time, depending on the results you want to achieve. The generator can run for between two to ten hours, depending on the size of the room.
If you need continuous operation, most generators will provide up to 30 hours of continuous run-time to eliminate most pollutants. However, follow the user manual to know whether you can run your ozone generator for too long.
To be safe, consider repeated treatments separated by airing out periods. This method is better than a single, long, and continuous treatment. Besides, you’ll enjoy better results than when using a car air purifier.
Will ozone destroy a car’s interior?
Ozone does not destroy the interior of the car if used as recommended by the manufacturer. Ideally, you should only run the machine for 30 minutes and not more than two hours.
If overused, the gas can damage the interior components of a vehicle. The most affected parts are usually the rubber seals.
The advantage of running an ozone generator in your car is it will destroy viruses, mold spores, and bacteria fast.
Whether the pollutants are airborne or stuck under the carpeting, ceiling pads, seats, or other areas, the ozone gas will reach the areas and eliminate them.
Can ozone cause car damage?
Low-level ozone generators are safe to use in your car. These are machines with a rating of between 3500 and 6000 mg/h.
One such powerful ozone generator is the Enerzen 6000mg. You can avoid car damage by ensuring you run the unit for a maximum of two hours.
How to treat the car interior using an ozone generator
Here are the steps for using an ozone generator to treat the interior of your car:
- Buy or rent an ozone generator. The best unit to consider is one rated 3500 mg/h. But if you have a large vehicle, go for one with a 12000 mg/h rating.
- Clean the car interior before using the generator. Start by removing all your precious belongings, trash, and anything unnecessary.
- Vacuum the car and wipe hard surfaces.
- Attach a duct to the generator using duct tape or follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Ensure you use a flexible duct.
- Close all the windows and doors.
- Push the duct into the vehicle through a window. Avoid placing the ozone generator inside the car.
- Seal off the open space in the window where you pushed the duct. You can use tape or cardboard to prevent the ozone from escaping.
- Turn on the generator and run it for 30 minutes in full power.
- After the 30 minutes have elapsed, open all the car windows and doors to air out the car and allow the ozone to dissipate.
It may not be safe to use the vehicle immediately after the treatment. Consider waiting for at least four days before driving.
If the odor still lingers, repeat the procedure or run the machine for two hours. If you feel like the ozone gas is still in the car, then you have to use these removal methods.
You can run an ozone generator in your car for between 30 minutes and two hours. While at it, avoid treating your vehicle for prolonged hours because it can destroy some interior components like rubber seals.
Consider repeated treatments separated by airing out periods instead of a single, long, and continuous treatment. After using an ozone generator in your car, wait for at least four days before using it.