Dealing with odors is part of the daily activities of many dog owners.
But, even if your puppy is part of your family, you do not like how it makes your house smell, especially if you have leather couches.
Leather is delicate, and dog smells, including urine accidents that get into the material, can destroy it.
It is generally challenging to get rid of dog-related odors. However, it is possible to do so on a leather couch with a little effort and strategy.
So, how do you get the dog smell out of a leather couch?
You have several options for eliminating the dog smell from a leather couch. You can rub vinegar on it gently or use baking soda with some water.
Another option is to use detergents that are specially formulated for leather to avoid destroying your couch.
How to eliminate dog smell from a leather couch
Leather is a porous material. It will pick and hold onto smells from pets or surroundings, the most popular being body odor, smoke, or food.
We’ve previously explained how to eliminate various odors from a leather couch. Here, we will specifically focus on dog smells.
1. Air the leather couch in the sun
The sun is a natural disinfectant. It will deodorize a leather couch that smells of dog urine or poop.
Generally, bacteria are the leading cause of odors. However, when you air your leather couch in the sun, UV rays permanently kill the bacteria and eliminate the odor.
Furthermore, the sun will remove mold, smoke, mildew, fragrance, food smells, and musty smells from your leather couch and make it smell neutral.
Here is what to do:
- Wipe your leather couch with a cleaning detergent.
- Take it outside to air in direct sunlight.
- Leave the couch outside for at least three hours.
NOTE: Too much sunlight can destroy your leather couch. Therefore, limit the amount of time the furniture stays in direct sunlight.
2. Use vinegar
Vinegar works as a disinfectant. You can use it together with linseed oil to eliminate dog odors from your leather couch.
Follow these steps:
- Mix a cup of distilled vinegar and two tablespoons of linseed oil into a bowl.
- Sink a clean sponge into the mixture.
- Clean the couch to allow the mixture to penetrate the leather material.
- Leave the treatment for at least 20 minutes.
- Polish the leather using a soft cotton cloth.
If the above steps do not remove the odor outright, consider repeating them several times.
3. Use baking soda
Baking soda is an absorbing agent that can help remove smells from all leather surfaces and mattresses.
You can use it to eliminate dog odors from a leather couch as follows:
- Sprinkle baking soda on the leather couch and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Vacuum the area after the 15 minutes elapse.
Ensure to use a vacuum cleaner with an upholstery attachment to remove all traces of baking soda.
4. Use an enzyme spray
An enzyme cleaner has bacteria that release enzymes. When sprayed on an odorous surface, the enzymes will break down the odor molecules in the dog waste, including vomit, feces, and urine.
To use it:
- Spray the enzyme cleaner directly onto the leather seat backrest or cushion.
- Wait for at least 15 minutes.
- Wipe the area using a soft sponge dipped in a mild detergent.
If necessary, vacuum the couch to remove any moisture.
5. Use a solution of baking soda and vinegar
If your leather couch smells like a dog, you can use a combination of baking soda and vinegar to eliminate the odor.
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda with half a glass of vinegar.
- Since pure vinegar can destroy a leather couch, mix the two contents with one liter of water to neutralize the vinegar.
- Place the mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spray it all over the leather couch.
- Wait for 20 minutes before cleaning the couch.
After 20 minutes, clean the leather couch using a mild detergent.
6. Vacuum the leather couch
Vacuuming a leather coach more frequently can help eliminate dog odors that linger on your leather couch. But you have to do it well for this to work.
Here is what you should do:
- Remove any dust or debris from the couch.
- Remove the cushions and vacuum the crevices.
- Vacuum the entire sofa, working slowly.
Ensure to remove all crumbs or dust particles from the sofa before applying a cleaning solution. Avoid rubbing the crumbs or dust into the leather because they can create a deeper stain.
For this to be effective, you must invest in a HEPA filter vacuum cleaner. You can also use a steam cleaner.
7. Use leather cleaner
Consider using a cleaner specially formulated for leather. The formulations ensure that the cleaner will not destroy your leather couch when you apply it.
It will also help protect and polish your leather while treating the dog odors simultaneously.
Furthermore, leather cleaners can target mold signs and spores that contribute to the frequent smells in leather.
We recommend Weiman leather cleaner and conditioner to remove pet odors from your couch.
8. Invest in an air purifier
An air purifier can also help remove the contaminants that cause odors in your leather couch, including pet urine, feces, and vomit. To use it:
- Wipe the leather couch using a damp cloth.
- Vacuum it thoroughly.
- Run an air purifier with a HEPA filter close to the couch
The air purifier will filter and remove particles causing the odor on your couch.
If you are looking for an effective air purifier, you can’t go wrong with the Alen FIT50.
Using different methods, you can remove dog odor from real or faux leather couches.
The simplest method is to air the couch in the sun to disinfect it. But if you aren’t in a position to carry your couch, consider using baking soda, vinegar, or an enzymatic cleaner.
Alternatively, invest in an air purifier for pet odor to filter and remove particles causing the odors.