The Bissell Proheat 2X carpet cleaner is excellent at cleaning up tough stains, pet urine, hairs, odors, and other nasty bits.
Unfortunately, it is prone to a few problems, which can be pretty frustrating when you have been looking forward to cleaning your carpet(s).
Some common problems with the Bissell carpet cleaner include lack of suction, water not spraying, brush not rotating, and others.
Most of these problems might be intimidating, prompting you to call a technician for repairs.
But before doing so, conduct some basic troubleshooting procedures to help you identify and fix the issues.
Common issues with Bissell Proheat 2X carpet cleaner
Some of the most common problems you are likely to encounter when using the Bissell 2X carpet cleaner include:
- Bissell Proheat 2X carpet cleaner is not turning on
- Carpet cleaner brushes are not rotating
- The carpet cleaner is not spraying (or has reduced spray volume)
- The carpet cleaner is not suctioning water
How to troubleshoot and fix Bissell Proheat 2X carpet cleaner?
Below are some troubleshooting procedures you can try if you are experiencing trouble when using the Bissell 2X carpet cleaner:
1. Bissell 2X carpet cleaner is not turning on
Is your Bissell Proheat 2X carpet cleaner not turning on?
Below are troubleshooting steps to identify and fix the problem:
- Check that you have power in the house. If not, check the electrical panel to see if you are dealing with a tripped switch.
- Try plugging in the unit to another electrical outlet. Then, you can test the outlet with another device to confirm it is working.
- Check the carpet cleaner’s power cord for any signs of damage. If the cable is damaged, take the machine to an authorized service center for repairs.
- Check for a broken cord: If the cord has no damage, the carpet cleaner could have overheated after prolonged use. Please turn it off for around 30 minutes, and then try it again.
The issue could be critical if the carpet cleaner doesn’t turn on. In this case, you should take the machine to an authorized service center for repairs.
2. Carpet cleaner brushes are not rotating
There are several reasons why your carpet cleaner brushes are not rotating. They include power issues, debris stuck in the brushes, damage to the brush, and wear or damage to the belt.
If that was the problem, you could quickly fix these issues by opening up the machine, cleaning debris, or even replacing or resetting a Bissell Proheat 2X carpet cleaner belt.
Below are troubleshooting procedures you can use to identify and fix these issues:
- Before trying anything else, plug in your Bissell Proheat 2X carpet cleaner and ensure it receives power.
- If the unit has power, recline the handle and check whether the brush is spinning (they will only rotate when the carpet cleaner is reclined.)
- If the brushes are still not spinning, turn off the unit and unplug it from the electrical outlet.
- Remove the water and formula tanks.
- Using a screwdriver, unscrew and remove the front nozzle and the clear side cap on the side (towards the front) of the unit.
- Unscrew and remove the pivotal brush arm by gently lifting it.
- Remove the small brush belt and check for signs of damage
- Remove the brush rolls and remove any debris. You can also clean them by rinsing them in a sink.
- If the belt or brush rolls are damaged, swap them with new ones and replace them on the unit.
- Reattach everything back as it was (including the bottom belt joining the two brush rolls), then screw back the side, clear cap, and the front nozzle
You can reattach the water and formula tanks and power on the carpet cleaner.
3. The carpet cleaner is not spraying (or has reduced spray volume)
Do you have an issue where your Bissell Proheat carpet cleaner is not dispensing water?
Several reasons you might be experiencing a low or no spray, including clogged filters, faulty tanks, and more.
Below are some troubleshooting steps you can try to identify the issue:
- First, turn off the carpet cleaner and unplug it from the electrical outlet.
- Remove the water tank and set it aside.
- Check for a red filter cap (on the surface where the water tank sits) and open it using a flathead screw or a coin.
- Pull out the white filter and rinse it with water to remove debris.
- Reattach the filter and screw back up the filter cap
- Check that the nozzle of the water and formula tank has a red rubber gasket. If the gaskets are missing, check for them at the bottom nozzles and reattach them to the tanks.
- Fill the tanks with water and solution and reseat them.
- Plug your unit into the electrical outlet and turn it on.
You can now test the trigger and see if the water sprays. If the issue persists, the best action is to take the unit to an authorized service center.
Alternatively, you can call a technician who is experienced in how to repair a Bissell carpet cleaner.
4. The carpet cleaner is not suctioning water
Are you facing a problem where Bissell carpet cleaner is not picking up water?
There are several possible reasons for this, including clogged nozzle, improperly seated tanks, improperly secured nozzle, full dirty water tank, etc.
So, how can you fix the suction problem on a Bissell carpet cleaner? Below are some troubleshooting procedures to attempt:
- Check that the water tanks are correctly seated and try suctioning the water.
- If there is no suction, remove the water tanks and place your hand on the port where the dirty water tank attaches with the unit turned on. There should be suction from the motor; if not, you should send your machine to an authorized service center.
- If you have suction, turn on the unit and unplug it from the outlet
- Empty the dirty water tank
- Check the front nozzle for any signs of stuck debris and remove them.
- Check along the seams of the water tank for any signs of cracks. If there is damage, replace the tank.
- Remove the tank lid and check that there is no debris where the red float flap door is located.
- Reattach the tank lid and check that it is securely attached to the bottom of the lid
- Reseat the tank on the machine, then power on your unit
You can now test the Proheat 2X carpet cleaner to see if the suction has been fixed. If you are still experiencing an issue, take your machine to an authorized service center.
Bissel Proheat 2X carpet cleaner is an excellent cleaning tool. It is easy to use and does not require complex or extensive maintenance.
Unfortunately, even with regular maintenance, you might face several problems. Luckily, the Proheat 2X carpet cleaner is easy to troubleshoot.
You can identify and fix the issues with the above troubleshooting guide. However, if you find the problem persists, you should not perform any repairs yourself.
Instead, it would be best to take the machine to an authorized service center or hire a licensed technician.