Musty basement odors never go away quickly regardless of how much you sweep, mope, or spray the room.
You may have, at some point, tried to use sprays and scented candles to remove the smell. The problem is that these can only eliminate odors temporarily.
A smelly basement can get worse with time. It can degrade your home’s structure and create many health problems like asthma and allergy attacks.
If you want to get rid of the smell in your basement, you need the best basement odor eliminator.
Best basement odor eliminators to buy this year
|Product Name||Lasts (months)||Mechanism||Price|
|Gonzo odor eliminator|
|Arm & Hammer||12||baking soda and |
|Moso||24||activated bamboo |
|Fresh Wave||2||plant extracts|
|Hamilton Beach 04532GM||3||carbon filters|
|airBOSS Anywhere||6||activated charcoal|
1. Gonzo odor eliminator – Best overall
Instead, it uses volcanic minerals because the rocks are environmentally safe. These rocks offer a natural alternative to other basement air fresheners. You can use the product at home around children and pets.
The advantage of Gonzo Odor Eliminator is that you can recharge it by placing the product in direct sunlight.
That means the basement odor eliminator will be ready to start absorbing unpleasant smells in your garage and basement again and you won’t need to spend on a new bag.
It will also eliminate musty odors caused by mildew and mold, garbage smells, pets, feces, and urine. Furthermore, the product will remove airborne bacterial odors and odors in cars, boats, trucks, and RVs.
You can also use it to remove cigarette and cigar odors, fireplace, and chimney odors. The eliminator will deodorize your basement, kitchen, bathrooms, closets, and other areas to get rid of musty smells.
2. OdorStop Professional Grade Ozone Generator (OS2500)
You can use the device to clean hotel suites, offices, apartments, homes, daycare centers, restrooms, condos, and basements.
The unit is ideal for eliminating severe odors caused by different substances.
These include tobacco, smoke, and fire, mold and mildew, water and flood damage, cooking and animal smells.
3. Arm & Hammer moisture absorber & odor eliminator
The product is a non-electric dehumidifier that will keep a small room smelling fresh. You can use the odor eliminator in your clothes closets to remove excess moisture.
Excess moisture in your wardrobe can damage leather goods and clothes. It can also cause damp feeling fabrics and mildew spots.
Arm & Hammer Moisture Absorber & Odor Eliminator will work well in many areas in your house. These include the bathroom, basement, garage, laundry room, crawl spaces, mudroom, and storage room.
You can also use it in your car, boat, RV, and any place with a stale and musty odor. To use the product, hang it up anywhere you want to remove odor.
4. Moso Natural air purifying bag
Moso Natural is definitely one of the best air purifying bags. It offers an easy and convenient way of maintaining a dry, clean, and odorless environment in your basement and garage.
The product is made of the natural bamboo charcoal which is safe to use at home. You can use the air purifying bag to absorb and remove allergens, odors, and harmful pollutants in your basement.
Furthermore, you can use the product to clean and refresh the air in your home.
The natural bamboo charcoal will also neutralize stubborn smells. These are smells caused by pet urine, smoke, wet dogs, cat litter boxes, and gym shoes.
As an odor neutralizer, it is an excellent natural alternative to chemical sprays, deodorizers, gels, and candles.
5. Fresh Wave odor removing gel
The product uses simple, natural, and pure ingredients to eliminate both inorganic and organic odors.
Instead of covering up smells with chemicals and perfumes, it eliminates odor molecules in your home.
You can use the product to remove odors from food, mildew, trash, smoke, and pets.
The gel evaporates when in use. It will disappear as it eliminates odors from a smelly basement drain.
6. Hamilton Beach TrueAir 04532GM
The unit has quiet fans that pull in air and neutralize odors using three carbon filters and then send fresh air back into the area.
The air cleaner does not mask smells and odors. Instead, it eliminates them.
You can use the cleaner to remove pesky kitchen and pet odors, keep bathrooms fresher, and eliminate the smell of smoke.
7. airBOSS Anywhere dehumidifier
Activated charcoal helps to absorb odors and remove excess moisture from damp basements.
It comes with drying crystals that protect items against rust, dampness, and musty odors. These odors are usually trapped in enclosed spaces and closets.
The dehumidifier is the best for small areas prone to moisture or mildew.
You can use the dehumidifier in the kitchen, bathroom, basement, closet, and storage spaces. The activated carbon in the cleaner will work against smells in small spaces.
It will trap and absorb offensive odors. After it has finished the musty basement smells, it will leave the area smelling fresh and clean.
What makes a good basement odor remover?
Are you wondering how I decided on these basement odor eliminators? Well, here some of the things I considered and you must consider them too:
- Ability to remove odors completely: You don’t want to settle on something that doesn’t remove odors permanently. Remember that some products don’t work well in musty places such as basements. On the other hand, others are best suited for such places.
- Non-toxic ingredients: This is especially important if you have kids and pets. Toxic chemicals can result in diseases and long-term health issues. Therefore, avoid toxic chemicals for odor removal.
- Reusability: If the odor just doesn’t seem to go away, you need an eliminator that can be re-used for a long time. A common air freshener won’t last for a few weeks. On the other hand, a good odor eliminator can be used for years, with recharging after every couple of months.
Having broken down the benefits and buying guides, we can delve into the reviews and buying guides of the best basement odor eliminators in the market this year.
Causes of basement odor
It is not enough to clean your basement. The reality is that a buildup of dirt and dust does not cause the musty smell.
Your basement is the perfect environment for holding moisture. As such, you need to investigate further to determine the primary cause of the smell. After the discovery, you need to come up with a plan of eliminating the musty odor.
Basements are tricky because many things can cause a musty smell. These can include excessive moisture, mildew, mold, and poor ventilation.
Another cause of basement odor is water leaks. A small water leak can cause lots of humidity in the basement. You should take care of visible water leaks or stains before they damage your home’s foundation.
How to prevent basement odor
You can avoid basement odor by identifying the source of the smell. Some of the ways of doing this include:
- Removing mildew and mold – Clean out mold and mildew from all infected objects. Or, throw away everything that has the odor embedded within.
- Store papers and books in sealed containers – The scent may be coming from papers and books. The musty smell can be difficult to clean if you want to keep the papers and books. Keep them in sealed containers or store them in a new location.
- Air out rugs and furniture – Always air out the carpets and furniture in your basement. The musty smell can embed in them.
- Invest in a ceiling fan – A ceiling fan will prevent the basement from retaining moisture. Ensure to run the fan for a few hours every day.
Try to prevent moisture from accumulating in your basement. In the long run, you will avoid basement odors altogether.
How to eliminate odor from your basement
You can get rid of basement odor in many ways. These include using:
- An Ozonator – An Ozonator produces ozone. Ozone oxidizes airborne odors and destroys bacteria, mold, and other organic materials that come into contact with it.
- Activated charcoal – Activated charcoal will absorb airborne impurities or particles that cause mold and bad odors. The basement odor absorber will then eliminate them from your basement and leave the air fresh and clean.
- Borax – As a natural mineral, borax will kill fungus in your basement. It will also absorb odors, stains, and kill mold.
- Baking soda – Baking soda will absorb odors and reduce mildew in your basement. Place baking soda in a container and leave it in a corner to absorb the odors.
- A dehumidifier – A dehumidifier prevents the accumulation of excess moisture in the basement. It will ensure the environment is dry to avoid the formation of mildew and mold.
Sometimes the most effective way to eliminate basement odor is to ventilate and deodorize the basement. That means you should open up basement windows to bring in the fresh air. If your basement does not have windows or doors, install a fan to increase air circulation.
If these do not work, you need to buy the best basement odor eliminator.
Hopefully, this guide has enabled you to find the best basement odor eliminator for your home. The listed eliminators will dehumidify the air in your basement and absorb odors.
You have many options when it comes to a dehumidifier or odor eliminator. You can either buy an electric or non-electric one. Regardless, ensure the odor eliminator is safe to use at home. Prices of the listed cleaners range from $18 to over $100.