Birds are great pets. However, they tend to leave behind lingering odors, especially when they are kept in their cages for an extended period.
The main sources of bird odors is pee, droppings, and body odors. When the smell diffuses through the air, it can make the indoors unbearable to stay. With regular cleaning, you can make a bird room smell good and ensure that the stench does not get into your house too.
You can get rid of bird odor from the house in different ways. First, you can use an air purifier to sanitize the air and neutralize the unpleasant smells. Another way is to use enzymatic cleaners, which will eliminate stains and stenches from a molecular level. But a more efficient way is to clean the bird and its cage regularly.
Here’s a detailed look at how you can use the above-mentioned methods to remove bird odor from the house permanently.
1. Use an air purifier
An air purifier can help to get rid of bird odor from the house and coop. It can also protect your bird from indoor pollutants and stop bird dander from flying in your room. Here is how to use it:
- Place the air purifier at least 60 cm from the bird coop.
- Ensure it is in a space that is free of any obstructions, including walls.
- Point the flow of the unit in the direction of the birdcage.
- Turn the air purifier on and allow it to circulate fresh air throughout the house.
The air purifier will work to sanitize the room and contribute to the quality of indoor air. For lasting results, choose the best air purifier for bird odors.
If you don’t have enough time to go through the entire list, we recommend the Alen BreatheSmart 45i as it is effective at eliminating bird smells and dander.
2. Using enzymatic cleaners
Birds have a speciality diet of seeds that makes them produce a lot of starch in their waste. As a result, their waste has a lot of bacteria that generate a lot of bad smells.
Luckily, you can use enzymatic cleaners to destroy the bacteria and eliminate the odors. Many of these products also work as a bird cage deodorizer. They are useful in getting rid of stenches and soiling caused by the animal. Here is how to use them:
- Clean the bird coop by removing any waste.
- Blot the area with a rag or towel to remove any dampness.
- Treat the birdcage with your preferred enzymatic cleaner.
- Once the birdcage is clean, rinse it thoroughly with clean water.
The enzymatic cleaner will work by speeding up the biological process and removing the odors. Ensure to follow the instructions on the product before using it. Also, clean all areas that the bird has not soiled.
The best products for this purpose are Rocco & Roxie odor remover and Nature’s miracle bird cage cleaner.
3. Using odor eliminating candles
You can also get rid of bad odor from the house using odor eliminating candles. The candles use enzymes to neutralize bird stenches. They give off a fresh fragrance as they burn and ensure your home smells fresh. The products come in different scents and can burn for over 50 hours. Here is how to use them:
- Light at least two candles and place them near the birdcage.
- Allow them to emit the fragrances as they clean the air of bird odor.
Although odor eliminating candles can burn for over 50 hours, let them emit the fresh fragrances for only four hours a day. While at it, make sure to select the best candles since not every candle can fight odors.
There are angry ladies all over Yankee Candle’s site reporting that none of the candles they just got had any smell at all. I wonder if they’re feeling a little hot and nothing has much taste for the last couple days too.
— Terri Nelson (@TerriDrawsStuff) November 24, 2020
4. Use activated charcoal
Activated charcoal is a natural and non-toxic ingredient that can combat all types of odors. It can neutralize stubborn smells caused by bird poop and refresh the air at the same time. Here is how to use it to get rid of bird poop odor:
- Purchase loose granules of activated charcoal.
- Create several bags or sachets filled with the charcoal granules.
- Place two bags of activated charcoal in the birdcage.
Activated charcoal is more porous, meaning it has a large surface area for absorbing odors. It is non-toxic and safe to use around the bird. The recommended brand for this purpose is Moso, which is available on Amazon.
5. Cleaning the birdcage
Setting up and following a cleaning plan of a birdcage will keep it smelling fresh. Consider cleaning the coop daily, weekly, and monthly. Here is how to do it.
Day-to-day cleaning of a birdcage involves the following:
- Changing the cage lining to prevent the bird from roaming in food droppings and preventing unpleasant smells.
- Cleaning water and food saucers using a dish detergent. It will help to prevent the formation of bacteria that causes unpleasant odors.
- Wiping down surfaces using a paper towel or damp rag and spot cleaning the coverings using an enzymatic or bird cage cleaner such as Nature’s Miracle.
Ensure the cleaner is safe to use around birds.
Weekly cleaning helps to minimize the chances of bacteria and germs occupying your house. It involves the following:
- Washing the tray by scrubbing it using a damp rag and cleaner.
- Taking off and scrubbing the grate to clean dried food droppings.
- Cleaning and changing the perches to eliminate dirt and waste and prevent the growth of bacteria.
Ensure all parts of the cage are dry before reassembling them.
Consider cleaning the entire birdcage every month. That involves removing things like dishes, grates, trays, and perches. Also, immerse the whole cage in water or take it outside and use a water hose to spray it. Other steps to take include:
- Scouring the base and bars using a cage cleaner to breakdown any material that is challenging to eliminate.
- Rubbing any grooves in the coop and corners to eliminate any breeding environment for germs.
- Rinsing and drying the birdcage to remove any residue of detergents or cleaners.
Although you can use the best bird odor eliminator to get rid of stenches in a birdcage, cleaning the housing is more efficient. It will ensure the bird stays in a clean environment and prevent the formation of bacteria and germs.
You can use different methods to make a house with birds smell good and eliminate unpleasant odors. Some options include using activated charcoal, air purifier, and enzymatic cleaners.
Another efficient way is to clean the birdcage regularly or as soon as the bird makes a mess. Alternatively, consider purchasing odor eliminating candles. They will burn and give off refreshing fragrances throughout the house.