Plants are good for human health. They produce oxygen and absorb the carbon dioxide produced from animals.
But plants can do more than providing oxygen. They can help to purify the air by taking in gases and other toxins that are harmful to humans. An example of a plant that can do these wonders is aloe vera. So, how do aloe vera plants clean the air?
How aloe vera plants clean the air
Aloe vera plants help to remove harmful VOCs from indoor air. The VOCs usually come from household items such as building materials, cleaning supplies, furniture, and carpets, among others.
When you place them in your house, they will take up carbon dioxide and provide lots of oxygen back into the air in your room. Some of the VOCs that the plant can remove from indoor air include:
Note that the aloe vera plant will take up high carbon dioxide levels during the night and release oxygen during the day when exposed to the light.
What are the benefits of aloe vera plant in a home?
Apart from cleaning indoor air, the plant has many benefits in your home, including:
- Natural healing: Aloe vera has a gel inside of it that helps to clean cuts and soothe burns. You can use its leaves to alleviate asthma symptoms by boiling them and breathing in the vapor.
- Improves oral health: Aloe vera has lots of Vitamin C. The vitamin is good for oral health because it can block plaque. Use the plant as a mouthwash to improve your oral hygiene.
Can you use aloe vera in place of an air purifier?
An air purifier works by sanitizing the air. That means it will remove pollutants, toxins, and allergens from your house.
It can also trap dust before it settles in your rooms, hence reducing build-up and making it easier for you to clean. When used properly, the unit can remove up to 99% of airborne bacteria.
With an aloe vera air purifier, the plant will eliminate harmful microorganisms and absorb dust in the air. It will also remove formaldehyde and absorb carbon dioxide.
In general, you can use either aloe vera or air purifier to get rid of toxins from your house. However, the plant offers a more natural solution for cleaning indoor air.
Where should I place aloe vera in the house?
The best location of placing an indoor aloe vera plant is near a sunny window. It should be in a position where it can receive a lot of indirect sunlight.
Avoid placing it in direct or bright sunlight because this will brown its leaves.
Also, you should be rotating the pot at least twice a week to ensure that all sides of the plant get ample sunlight.
This helps to ensure the plant does not turn color on one side only but balances it out. Remember that leaves grow towards the light.
How to take care of an indoor aloe vera plant
If you have the aloe vera plant at home, you can take care of it to ensure continuous cleaning of the air in several ways:
- Watering: Ensure to water the plant after the soil has dried. The best time for this practice is after two weeks.
- Fertilizing: Although the plant does not need fertilizer, it will grow better when you use it. Liquid fertilizer is the best to use.
- Change the pot: Consider changing the container once the plant starts growing longer, preferably three inches in diameter.
When placing the plant in your room, ensure the temperature is above 15 degrees Celsius. Any temperature below this will destroy it.
Aloe vera is one of the many plants that improve air quality in your home. It can eliminate many harmful toxins, including carbon dioxide, xylene, formaldehyde, and benzene.
Ensure to take care of the plant by watering it and place it near the window to expose it to sunlight.