Shower tiles may sometimes look dirty and dingy because of the accumulation of soap scum, mildew, and mold.
For most people, the first thing they do is clean the surface using a brush and water. But scrubbing the tiles is time-consuming.
It requires a lot of effort, and the job may not even be satisfactory. The good news is you can clean a walk-in tiled shower without scrubbing to save time and make your bathroom spotless.
You can clean shower tiles without scrubbing using different methods. First, you can use a combination of vinegar and baking soda to wash the tiles. A second method is to use salt or lemon juice. Alternatively, consider chemical treatment.
Chemical treatment involves using heavy-duty tile cleaners like hydrogen peroxide, bleach, borax, or ammonia. You can then finish it up by applying a bathroom air freshener.
How to prevent the growth of mildew on bathroom tiles
If you do not want to keep on scrubbing your bathroom tiles, the first step is to curtail the build-up of mold, mildew, and soap scum.
You can do that by applying a layer of wax to ceramic tiles. It will help minimize the marks caused by water on ceramic tiles since the water will bead up and roll off as you shower.
Wax prevents the accumulation of mineral deposits from hard water and repels grime. Furthermore, waxing your tiles gives your bathroom a nice shine.
Consider waxing your tiles at least once every year. You can apply car wax to your ceramic bathroom tiles.
Here is how:
- Damp a clean cloth in the wax.
- Rub it in a thin layer across the bathroom tiles.
- Buff the floor tiles after applying the wax.
Before applying, clean your bathroom with water and soap and ensure it is dry. Buffing is also necessary to prevent the tiles from being too slippery.
These are the best wax brands for shining bathroom tiles:
You can also follow this guide to prevent mold from forming on your shower curtain if you have one.
5 ways to clean your bathroom tiles without scrubbing
Use any of these methods to eliminate scum, dirt, mold, and stains from your bathroom floor and wall tiles without scrubbing:
1. Apply vinegar and baking soda
A combination of vinegar and baking soda creates a fizzy chemical reaction that dissolves stains on bathroom tiles and loosens up sludgy messes. It will prevent you from scrubbing your tiles after the chemical reaction.
Here is how to use it:
- Mix baking soda and water into a paste. Use equal amounts.
- Apply the paste on the tiles, including the grout.
- Let the paste rest for about five minutes.
- Mix an equal amount of vinegar and warm water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the mixture onto the tiles with the baking soda paste.
- A fizzing reaction will occur.
- After the fizzing, wipe up the cleaner.
- Mop the flow.
When you clean a tiled shower with vinegar, mix the vinegar with warm water to speed up the reaction. You can also use this combination to clean a toilet bowl.
2. Use oxygen bleach
Perhaps the easiest way to clean grout without scrubbing is to use oxygen bleach. Oxygen bleach works well on deep shower tile stains and grimy grout.
It works similarly to chlorine bleach and helps to kill bacteria and brighten white surfaces. An advantage of using the product is it is natural and does not discolor tiles.
To use it:
- Buy oxygen bleach in powder form.
- Add water to the powder solution as recommended by the manufacturer.
- Saturate the grout.
- Keep the tiles saturated for 60 minutes before proceeding.
- After the bleach penetrates the grout, rinse the bleach away with clean water.
- Allow the surface to air-dry or wipe it down to reduce surface moisture.
Although you can use liquid oxygen bleach, it comes in small spray bottles that may not give you the amount of product you require to saturate a large area.
The best oxygen bleach to consider includes:
- OxiClean Versatile Stain Remover Powder
- Durawax Oxygen Bleach, Cleaner, and Stain Remover
- LA’s Totally Awesome Oxygen Cleaner Powder
- Savvy Green, Oxygen Brightening Powder.
If you prefer liquid oxygen bleach, consider Seventh Generation Chlorine Free Bleach.
3. Use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda
You can use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to get rid of stains on shower tiles without scrubbing. Hydrogen peroxide is a natural cleaner and safe to use. It will not eat away at the grout.
When you mix it with baking soda, it forms oxygenated bleach. The resulting chemical reaction will clean the surface and eliminate the stains.
Use it as follows:
- Mix hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in a bowl to form a paste.
- Apply the paste onto the grout.
- Allow the treatment to work for about ten minutes.
- Wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Baking soda is mildly abrasive. It will remove the dirt that is stuck in the porous grout surfaces without causing damage.
4. Apply ammonia
Ammonia is an ingredient in many household cleaning products. It can clean surfaces such as tabs, sinks, countertops, toilets, and tiles.
You can use ammonia to clean ceramic tile shower walls because it will break down stains, making it easier for you to remove them.
Here is how to use it:
- Wipe the ceramic tile shower walls before applying ammonia.
- Mix equal parts of ammonia and water in a bucket.
- Apply the mixture to the tiles.
- You can use a mop and make it damp with the solution before applying it to the wall.
- Wipe down the wall using a clean mop to rinse off the ammonia. Ensure to use fresh water at this stage.
Ammonia has an overpowering smell. If your bathroom does not have windows, bring in some fans to neutralize the fume.
5. Steam clean it
The most effective method of cleaning shower tiles without scrubbing is to use a steam cleaner. A steam cleaner can remove sticky residue on the tiles. It uses high steam pressure to clean and disinfect surfaces.
Here are instructions for use:
- Wipe down ceramic floor tiles or walls with a dust rag.
- Fill the steam cleaner with water.
- Turn on the machine.
- Once you have powered it, push it along the surface of your bathroom tiles.
The best way of using a steam cleaner is to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
These are the best tile and grout steam cleaners:
- BISSELL Power Fresh Steam Mop: Can clean concrete, tile, and hardwood floors.
- McCulloch MC1385 Deluxe Canister Steam Cleaner.
- Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner.
- Steamfast SF-370 Canister Cleaner.
- Wagner Spraytech 0282014 915e (also ideal for wallpaper removal)
You can clean shower tiles without scrubbing using different methods. First, you can mix vinegar and baking soda to remove dirt from the tiles.
You can also consider using oxygen bleach, hydrogen peroxide, or ammonia. If you want to make things easier for you, use a tile and grout steam cleaner.