It’s not easy to ignore any smell in your home. While aromas from cooked food, homemade pie, and specific perfumes are welcome, others like dog poop, wet shoes, and spoiled food are baffling, and it is best to eliminate them.
So, what is the best way to deal with terrible smells? One of the most effective methods is to use the best air purifier for odor control in your house.
An air purifier for odor control will reduce the concentration of allergens and airborne pollutants in your house. That will leave your home smelling fresh and clean.
It is worth noting that the number of contaminants an air purifier can remove will depend on the specifications of a unit.
For example, some lower-end devices can only get rid of 30% of particles from the air. On the other hand, higher-quality units can eliminate over 99% of particles. That means you need the best air purifier for odor control that can get rid of smells from the entire square footage of the home.
Best air purifiers for odor removal
We recommend these air purifiers to remove odors in your home.
1. Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier (Best for large rooms)
The best air purifier for odor control is the Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier. This unit is designed to work in room sizes of up to 1560 sq. ft. It is an air purifier odor eliminator that cleans indoor air two times per hour.
The air purifier comes with a Max2 filter combined with True HEPA and activated carbon filters. These filters reduce and capture up to 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns.
Apart from odor removal, you can use the Coway Airmega 4000 to eliminate pollutants, pollen, and allergens.
- Eliminates strong odors and fumes and more than 99% of volatile organic compounds like acetaldehyde (CH3CHO) and ammonia
- Has a smart mode that adapts to its surrounding to purify the air
- It has smart sensors and LED rings that tell you how dirty or clean your indoor air is each minute
- Has a permanent and washable pre-filter that catches large dust particles
- Can be noisy with sound levels of up to 52dB
2. RabbitAir MinusA2 (Best for medium-sized rooms)
The RabbitAir MinusA2 is an ultra-quiet HEPA air purifier. The unit can cover rooms of up to 700 sq. ft. Its stylish design makes it possible for you to mount it on a wall or place it in a corner to standalone.
You can use it to remove musty smells from indoor air and reduce odors from cigars, cigarettes, pets, mildew, and cooking.
- Offers a 6-stage purification and deodorization process
- It comes with customized filters for reducing volatile organic compounds, airborne bacteria, and pet allergens and dander
- Has a 5-year warranty
- Traps allergens and particles 0.3 microns in size at 99.97% efficiency
- It is expensive compared to similar units
3. Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier (Best for small rooms)
The Hathaspace Smart is a 5-in-1 large room deodorizer and air cleaner for odors. It features a True HEPA filter that can eliminate allergens, pet hair, smoke, mold, pollen, dust, and more.
The unit has a filter system that can capture small particles of up to 0.3 microns with 99.97% efficiency.
Its automatic air quality sensor system works by measuring indoor air quality and adjusts its fan speeds in real-time.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Filters 99.97% of allergens and pollutants and controls unwanted smells
- The 5-stage purification process eliminates the most common and invisible household pollutants
- Only covers rooms of up to 350 sq. ft
4. Levoit Air Purifier
The Levoit Air Purifier is a unit that features a True HEPA filter and smart sensors. You can use it at home to clean large rooms and remove odor from air, as well as pollen, dust, mold, and allergens.
The air purifier is 100% ozone free and does not use anion and UV-C purification methods. It also features an auto mode that automatically adjusts between three fan speed settings to respond to real-time air quality.
- Offers a 3-stage filtration system that can filter particles of up to 0.3 microns
- It is ultra-quiet with average noise levels of around 27 dB
- Has a 1-12-hour timer function that helps you to choose when the machine should operate
- Only covers rooms of up to 360 sq ft
- You must change filters every six months
5. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier
The Winix 5500-2 comes with a True HEPA filter, AOC carbon filter, and PlasmaWave technology to reduce indoor odors.
This air purifier for odor removal can capture up to 99.97% of airborne pollutants and other allergens as small as 0.3 microns. It works in silence, with an average noise level of 27.8 dB.
Its PlasmaWave technology acts as a permanent filter that can safely break down allergens, bad smells, and chemical vapors.
- Has smart sensors that adjust fan speeds to filter the air when necessary
- Has a filter replacement indicator
- It features a sleep mode that senses ambient light in a room at night
- Not the best for rooms larger than 400 sq. ft
- Its replacement HEPA Filters are too expensive
Things to consider before buying an air purifier for odor control
You must consider the following factors before purchasing the best odor eliminator air purifier:
Air purifiers for bad smells are not the same. Some can only remove specific airborne particles while the most effective ones are those that can remove up to 99.97% of particles from the air.
Ideally, air purifiers that make use of HEPA filters to remove odors are the most effective ones to consider.
You must decide where you will place the unit before purchasing it. Ideally, buy an air purifier that can cover the size of the room where you intend to use it.
Some air purifiers are designed to cover rooms of up to 1,500 sq. ft while others cover less than 300 sq. ft.
Understand that the effectiveness of an air filter for odors will depend on where you place it.
3. Additional features
The best unit should have a shut-off timer, UV light, filter life indicator, and sensors to ease odor elimination.
Choose the right air purifier
When looking for the best air purifier for odor control, you should get one that can eliminate up to 99.97% of airborne particles that are as small as 0.3 microns.
The best unit should come with a True HEPA filter and should include automatic sensors to adjust fan speeds. Therefore, consider one that can cover rooms as large as 400 square feet if you intend to use it in medium or large rooms.