Did you know that high humidity levels in a garage can destroy your tools, electronics, and documents?
Humidity creates a perfect environment for corrosion to occur. As a result, metals and electronics tend to rust and lose their resistance and conductivity factors. If your electronics rust, they will not only malfunction but can also short circuit –which can end up causing accidents. To avoid this, you need the best dehumidifier for your garage.
it is essential to control humidity levels in your garage regardless of the season. While many homeowners prefer heating up the garage during winter, this is not only expensive, but also leaves your garage vulnerable to humidity during other seasons.
A dehumidifier will help you to maintain the right levels of humidity, which is about 40-60%, in the garage. To achieve this, you need to get a good dehumidifier.
Recommended dehumidifiers for the garage
These are our top picks if you are looking for a dehumidifier to eliminate humidity in a garage:
- hOmeLabs Energy Star Dehumidifier – Best for large and very cold garages
- Vremi Energy Star Dehumidifier – Best for medium-sized garages
- yaufey 30 Pint Dehumidifier
- Ivation Energy Star Dehumidifier – Best automation technology
- Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier –Best for small garages
What size dehumidifier do you need for a garage?
The right size of a dehumidifier for your garage will depend on the dampness and length of the room.
Start by measuring the length and width of the space you want to dehumidify and multiply the values you get in square meters. Next, determine how damp your area is by looking at any signs of humidity.
Note that a garage can be Extremely Wet, Wet, Very Damp, or Moderately Damp (read more about this later in the article). If the room is:
- Moderately Damp and measures 500 square feet and below: you need a dehumidifier that has a capacity of between 10 and 20 pints.
- Very Damp and measures 500 square feet and below: choose a unit whose capacity is between 12 and 32 pints.
- Wet and measures 500 square feet and below: buy one with a capacity of between 14 and 38 pints.
- Extremely Wet and measures 500 square feet and below: go for a device with a capacity of between 16 and 44 pints.
In essence, you should buy a dehumidifier whose capacity is higher than the size of your garage.
Should I get a heater or dehumidifier for a garage?
You can control condensation in your garage by using a heater or a dehumidifier. A heater will keep the temperatures stable and reduce condensation.
But a dehumidifier is much more useful, in this case. This is because it will control moisture levels in your garage by removing excess water from indoor air. The unit will then reheat the air and exhaust it back into the room.
Furthermore, dehumidifiers have a humidistat. It is a feature that allows you to set the right level of relative humidity in the surrounding based on the dampness of the area.
Best dehumidifiers for the garage in 2022
|hOmeLabs Energy Star Dehumidifier||4,500||50|
|Vremi Energy Star Dehumidifier||1,500||22|
|yaufey 30 Pint Dehumidifier||1,500||30|
|Ivation Energy Star Dehumidifier||4,500||50|
|Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier||250||1.2|
Here are detailed reviews of the five of the best dehumidifiers for garage use.
1. hOmeLabs energy star dehumidifier – Best for large garages
The hOmeLabs energy star is the best dehumidifier for a garage. This device can cover spaces of up to 4,500 square feet and remove 50 pints from indoor air within 24 hours. You can use it in a Very Wet garage (room temp from 41°F to 95°F) to eliminate dampness and bad smells.
- Comes with a large 1.8-gallon water tank
- Its quiet fan allows for a noiseless operation
- You can adjust its settings to your ideal moisture level
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- It is not energy-efficient compared to similar units.
If you want a dehumidifier that is efficient and will auto-restart with the previous settings if it shuts off unexpectedly because of a power outage.
2. Vremi Energy Star dehumidifier – Best for medium-sized garages
Vremi Energy Star Dehumidifier is a great dehumidifier that is designed for medium-sized rooms of up to 1,500 square feet. It can remove up to 22 pints from the air every 24 hours. With its 0.8-gallon water tank, you can use it in a garage categorized as Very Damp to reduce humidity and maintain an ideal level of dryer air.
- Absorbs moisture with minimal energy consumption
- You can adjust it to a preferred moisture setting
- Has a drain hose outlet for continuous draining
- It is louder and does not allow for quiet operation.
We recommend the Vremi energy star dehumidifier because of its large enough capacity to eliminate moistness and odors in garages that are smaller than 1,500 square feet.
3. yaufey 30 pint dehumidifier
The yaufey 30 Pint Dehumidifier is a unit designed for medium-sized homes. It can cover an area of up to 1,500 square feet and eliminate four gallons of moisture from your garage. You can set the device to run continuously until it fills its 1.8 liters water tank and will shut off automatically to drain off.
- Has two fan speed settings (turbo and regular) for optimal comfort during an operation
- Has a removable and washable filter for easy maintenance
- Detects humidity levels in a room automatically and adjust its fan speed to dehumidify the room
- Its tank capacity is small compared to the amount of humidity it can reduce
The yaufey 30 Pint Dehumidifier is the best unit to consider if you want a dehumidifier for garage with a hose and one that will show you the current humidity levels when you power it up.
4. Ivation Energy Star dehumidifier
Ivation is a large-capacity dehumidifier for large spaces of up to 4,500 square feet. Some of its features include a hose connector, humidistat, casters, air filter, and an auto-shutoff or restart function. These make it one of the best dehumidifiers for the garage.
You can use it in your basement to remove 50 pints of moisture every 24 hours. The device is ideal for rooms that experience temperatures of between 600F and 800F. Its tank capacity is 1.3 liters.
- Comes with a frost sensor to protect evaporator coils
- Its auto-shutoff feature helps to conserve energy
- Has a relative humidity meter that displays moisture content in a room
- It is expensive compared to similar units.
The Ivation Energy Star Dehumidifier is for homeowners that want a feature-rich unit that provides for easy performance in spacious rooms.
5. Pro Breeze electric mini dehumidifier – Best for small garages
It can cover an area of up to 250 square feet and eliminate 18 ounces of water per day. The unit has an optimal operating temperature of 590F to 860F and will not work below 410F.
- It is energy-efficient, portable, and lightweight
- Allows for a whisper-quiet operation
- Easy to dispense water
- Because of its size, it tends to fail to get the relative humidity below 66% at over 700
If you want a wall-mounted garage dehumidifier that works efficiently in a small room of up to 250 square feet, the Pro Breeze Electric Mini Dehumidifier is what you should consider.
Factors to consider before purchasing a dehumidifier for your garage
When ordering your dehumidifier, you have to pay attention to a couple of things. Without keeping these factors in mind, you might end up with an ineffective device. These factors include:
Size is crucial when it comes to buying a dehumidifier. Ideally, choose a unit based on the amount of water it can extract from the air within 24 hours.
Examples of sizes in pints are 30, 50, 70, etc. A rule of thumb is to purchase a device that covers larger square footage of your garage.
Consider purchasing a dehumidifier that will extract the amount of moisture in your garage. You can classify the moisture in your room as extremely wet, wet, very damp, and moderately damp.
Most homes fall under moderately damp conditions. The only exceptions are in cases where the garage has mold, leaks, musty odor, and other issues.
Desiccant or refrigerant dehumidifier
Dehumidifiers can either be desiccant or refrigerant. In our garage dehumidifier reviews, we recommend desiccant units for areas that experience temperatures below 18 degrees. Refrigerant models are applicable for hot and humid zones.
Features to consider before buying a dehumidifier for your garage?
The best dehumidifiers for a garage should have these features:
- Energy efficiency: Power usage varies between dehumidifiers. But energy efficiency will also depend on the size of the unit. Consider going for a device that gives the highest amount of energy performance.
- Auto-Restart function: An auto-restart function offers an extra level of convenience to the device. It comes in handy in regulating humidity automatically. It is also helpful in powering up whenever there is a power outage.
- Timer controls: Ideally, you should choose a unit that has a timer because it prevents you from setting it up manually. Besides, a timer allows the device to work in a specified setting 24/7.
- Drainage: Consider buying a unit that drains the water collected continually. It will prevent you from emptying it periodically.
Other features you should pay attention to are washable air filters, user-friendly controls, and integrated humidistat.
Does a dehumidifier work in a cold garage?
A dehumidifier will work in any garage that suffers from standing water and condensation. Condensation causes consistent moisture that can result in mold and odors. It can also cause damage to the structural integrity of your house if left unattended.
By placing the unit in your garage, it will prevent these issues and ensure minimal maintenance over time. The device will control moisture levels and reduce the humidity levels needed by mold spores to grow. Besides, it is also helpful in preventing wood rot and damage to your tools.
The best dehumidifiers for a garage are those with a capacity that is higher than the size of your room. It should be energy-efficient, ultra-quiet, and useful in lowering the humidity in any space. Additionally, you should also consider a unit that comes with a removable and washable air filter for easy maintenance.