Cigarette smoke smell can remain present in your home for a long time. The smoke itself contains lots of chemicals combined with nicotine. Nicotine forms granular deposits that stick on surfaces like clothes and curtains.
It is that combination that causes the odor to linger in your house for a long time. If you live in such an environment, you need to figure out how to get rid of the smoke smell in your rooms.
Many people try different methods to eliminate cigarette smell permanently. For example, some use perfumed aerosols, and others burn scented candles to get rid of the odor. But these two methods are not effective because they mask the smell temporarily. So, what absorbs cigarette smoke?
You can only remove the smell permanently by removing the primary source of the problem. It may involve a thorough cleaning of surfaces and clothes and ensuring proper ventilation. But what absorbs cigarette smoke better to ensure an odorless environment?
Ways to get rid of cigarette smoke and odors
Here are a few cigarette smell removal methods to consider.
1. Use an air purifier
An air purifier is by far the best unit you can use to remove cigarette smell from your house permanently. The best air purifiers for cigarette smoke come with HEPA and activated carbon filters. HEPA filters capture smoke particles while the activated carbon gets rid of the odor.
To use an air purifier effectively for the elimination of cigarette and vaping odors:
- Ensure it is of the right size and place it in an open space
- Point the flow of air in the most affected area
- Keep the machine running continuously
- Keep all the doors and windows closed to ensure the purified air does not escape the room
Change the filters frequently to prevent them from getting clogged with contaminants.
2. Use a smokeless ashtray
Smokeless ashtrays help to get rid of the tobacco smell and minimize environmental pollution caused by cigarette smoking. The units work by absorbing the smoke produced and eliminating the odors.
The best smokeless ashtrays come with a built-in multi-layered activated carbon filter and lid designs. These filters draw in smoke before it can escape into the room.
If you want to use a smokeless ashtray:
- Place the device near the smoking area
- If it comes with a lid, open it to activate the unit
- Place your cigarette inside the unit
The carbon filter will absorb the smoke and make the cigarette smell go away.
3. Use activated carbon
Activated carbon is the best and most affordable neutralizer of cigarette odors. It works by absorbing the smoke particles from the air instead of covering them. To get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke using activated carbon:
- Place bowls of activated carbon in powdered form around the house
- Place them a couple of hours before you smoke and leave them thereafter
Make sure to get activated coconut or bamboo charcoal deodorizer bags as they are more effective compared to other types of activated charcoal.
4. Baking soda absorbs cigarette smoke
Baking soda is a deodorizer that is effective at absorbing smells. Also, the substance is useful for drawing out excess moisture from the air. You can use it to remove cigarette smell from house by doing the following:
- Sprinkle the powder on your furniture, rugs, carpets, and other surfaces in your home
- Leave the dust for at least 24 hours
- Clean the powder by vacuuming your surfaces or cleaning the fabrics
The sprinkled powered should remain on the surfaces overnight to give it time to get rid of the nicotine smell. Repeat the same steps until you eliminate the odors.
5. Vinegar too absorbs cigarette smoke
If you want to know how to get rid of cigarette smell in the apartment using household items, consider using vinegar. You can use vinegar in various ways:
- Boil the liquid and allow it to diffuse in your house
- Place bowls of vinegar in your home to get smoke smell out of the room
- Mix two cups of vinegar with warm water. Soak a sponge in the solution and scrub your walls or smelly surfaces.
Generally, vinegar works effectively on clothes. You can steam your fabrics using the solution or add a cup of it to your laundry instead of detergent.
6. Open your windows
Letting in fresh air is the best way to get rid of cigarette smoke from your house. In warm weather, open your doors and windows to allow some fresh air to come in and the smoke to go out. Eventually, the fresh air will dissipate the bad smell of cigarette smoke.
The only drawback with this method is if you are living in an apartment and you don’t want your neighbors smelling the odors. Besides, if you are trying to get rid of smoke coming from neighbors, then this method is the least effective.
You can remove smoke smell from walls in your house more effectively by using an air purifier or activated carbon. If you want a cheaper option, use vinegar or baking soda. To prevent cigarette smoke from accumulating in your house while smoking, open the windows and doors to allow in some fresh air. Hopefully, you’ve learned what absorbs cigarette smoke and how to use it for odor removal.