The danger of wildfire smoke is that it can have immediate health effects. These include irritation in your throat, nose, and eyes, coughing, and issues with your lungs and breathing difficulties.
If you have an underlying condition, such as lung or heart disease, it could even be worse. One way of combating the effects is by using any of the best masks for wildfire smoke available online.
The purpose of having a mask that is designed for wildfire smoke is to protect you from inhaling harmful particles. A good mask will help to cover your mouth and nose and should have a filter that traps harmful particles. At the same time, it shouldn’t cause suffocation to you and your family.
Noteworthy, when you use a mask alongside the best air purifier for wildfire smoke, you can protect yourself and your family from these adverse health effects.
Best masks for wildfire smoke – Top 5 recommendations in 2021
If you are looking for a mask to wear for smoke, these are the best options you can find.
|3M 8511 Respirator||Disposable|
|3M Large 5000 Series||Disposable|
|ECO-GEAR Anti-Pollution Mask||Reusable|
|TSSPLUS PM2.5 Face Mask||Reusable|
1. 3M 8511 Respirator
The 3M 8511 Respirator is an n95 respirator face mask. It is useful in filtering at least 95% of airborne particles that are as small as 0.3 microns.
The mask will shield you from breathing in non-oil based aerosols and particles. It comes with a cool flow valve that helps to minimize heat build-up inside the respirator.
- Allows you to breathe at least 30% easier compared to other masks
- It has an adjustable nose clip that ensures a custom and secure seal.
- It is lightweight and comfortable when worn for long periods.
- It is not reusable
The 3M 8511 Respirator is the best mask you can get, especially if you are looking for a breathing mask for smoke that will reduce the transfer of microorganisms and airborne particulate matter.
2. 3M Large 5000 Series Half Face Respirator
3M Large 5000 Series is a half-face disposable air-purifying respirator suitable for various applications. You can use it in petrochemical plants, chemical manufacturing, electronics, and construction.
It is made using soft and lightweight thermoplastic elastomer that not only offers durability but ensures comfort when wearing it. When in use, it will protect you against organic compounds at concentrations that are up to ten times the allowable exposure limit.
- It comes already pre-assembled with permanently attached cartridges.
- You can use it in tens of applications, including wildfire smoke, welding, transportation, and more.
- It is easy to use, simple, convenient and does not require any maintenance.
- It is not reusable.
The 3M Large 5000 Series half-face air-purifying respirator is ideal for people that want a face mask they can use during wildfire outbreaks and in a variety of applications.
3. MILDSIX Reusable Dust & Smoke Mask
MILDSIX Reusable Dust Mask is an adjustable mask that can protect you from harmful airborne particles, especially when woodworking and doing outdoor activities.
It comes with four carbon filters that are ideal in getting rid of VOCs. The carbon filters are replaceable and have a 5-layer structure that can filter out up to 98% of smoke and other non-oil particles.
- Its elastic loops ensure the piece is adjustable and comfortable when wearing.
- It offers a great seal to fit your face.
- It features dual one-way exhale valves that provide better breathability.
- You can rewash and reuse it.
- It requires constant replacement of filters, which can be expensive in the long run.
As one of the best masks for smoke pollution, the MILDSIX Reusable Dust Mask is ideal for you because it is reusable and perfect for a variety of applications.
4. ECO-GEAR Anti-Pollution Face Mask
ECO-GEAR Anti-Pollution Face Mask is a particulate respirator that is effective in filtering out dust, exhaust gas, and smoke.
The mask is a comfortable fit because you can adjust its elastic loop to fit your face. Furthermore, it comes in a variety of colors and designs to allow you to choose one that fits your style.
- Its material offers anti-dust protection.
- It is ideal for multiple outdoor activities.
- You can wash and reuse it.
- It is expensive compared to similar pieces.
The ECO-GEAR Anti-Pollution Face Mask is one of the best air masks for smoke, especially if you want a reusable one, and is comfortable to wear.
5. TSSPLUS PM2.5 Face Mask Respirator
TSSPLUS PM2.5 is an anti-air pollution face mask that features two filters. It is one of the best reusable face masks to filter smoke. The mask comes with an adjustable nose bridge and a hook strap. It helps to fit different types of faces and ensure comfort when wearing it.
Also, it can help to reduce the risks of breathing in harmful gases, pollen, smoke, and dust particles.
- Its material is cotton that ensures better breathing and comfortable wear.
- It is a washable and reusable face mask.
- It comes with a breathing valve to allow fresh air.
- It only comes with one size fits all, which can be inconvenient for children.
With the TSSPLUS PM2.5 face mask, you are getting a reusable respirator mask that has a particle filtration efficiency of up to 98%.
Things to consider when choosing the best masks for wildfire smoke
If you are looking for a mask to wear during a wildfire outbreak, consider the following factors:
- Size: The best masks for wildfire smoke are those that fit over your nose and under your chin. Ideally, choose a size that will affix to your face tightly to prevent leakages.
- Filtration Efficiency: The best unit is one that has a filtration efficiency of over 95%. That will be effective in preventing you from breathing in toxins, smoke, and other harmful particles.
- Reusability: Since it can be expensive to buy face masks for wildfire smoke, consider purchasing reusable ones.
Also, consider buying a particulate mask that has at least two straps so that it can seal to your face tightly when fastening it.
If you are looking for the best masks for wildfire smoke, consider those that can filter up to 95% of airborne particles. Also, go for those that can fit well in your face so you can avoid breathing in harmful gases and toxins. A reusable unit is also ideal if you do not want to spend a lot of money buying face masks for wildfire smoke.