During the summer, it is common to find many homeowners powering up their air conditioners to get the much-needed cool breeze. But an AC is not for everyone. It is too noisy and uses a lot of electricity. Its electricity consumption creates a financial disadvantage to the user.
Furthermore, an air conditioner is only effective if the filters are maintained or replaced according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. Otherwise, ACs can become breeding grounds for contaminants and contribute to health problems like asthma and allergies. The alternative is to use fans that cool like air conditioners.
Air cooling fans are useful in cooling homes without inflating energy costs. Moreover, they are easy to set up and offer many features.
While they are a great addition to your home, you can only enjoy the benefits of fans that cool like air conditioners if you choose the best.
Things to consider when choosing a fan that cools air like an air conditioner
When looking for a cool air fan, pay attention to the following:
The size of your room should help you to determine the right cool air fan to buy. It will also show you how much area the unit can cool. Ideally, choose one that can cover your intended room so that you don’t have to move it often.
CFM (cubic feet per minute) is a measure of the airflow of a fan. Consider choosing a fan that has a higher CFM rating for faster cooling. However, a higher number will only work depending on the size of your room. For example, a high CFM is not the best for a small room because it will produce a lot of cool air that may not be comfortable.
Portability and build quality
Most cool air fans do not cover large areas. In this case, you will need a good portable fan. You can then move it to the bedroom at night and the living room (or areas where your family occupies the most) during the day.
In such a setting, you need a fan that is reliable and made from quality materials. Otherwise, it will not last long and may require frequent maintenance.
5 best fans that cool air like air conditioners – buyer’s guide
These are the best fans that cool rooms like air conditioners:
1. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool – Best Overall
The fan in the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool is powered by the air multiplier technology that projects up to 53 gallons per second of smooth yet powerful airflow in a room. Whether you need to cool down your home or purify the air, this device is all you need.
- It has an oscillation of 350 degrees that directs airflow where you need it.
- Comes with multiple features including a sleep timer, ten-speed settings, and automatic shut off.
- Can also purify the air.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- It is more expensive than normal fans
If you need an excellent fan that cools the air as air conditioners do, then you can’t go wrong with the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool.
2. Homech HM-TF001 Whole Room Tower Fan
Homech HM-TF001 is a whole-room tower fan that has 3-speed settings, an LED display, an auto screen-off, and floor bladeless fans. It is a great fan for cooling different spaces, including workplaces, living rooms, bedrooms, and other indoor areas.
The HM-TF001 has a 65-degree oscillation which is a wider angle than some fans. It also produces a long wind curve to ensure efficient airflow distribution in a house. Whether you need to cool down a house rapidly or just a quiet and gentle breeze as you work or relax, the Homech HM-TF001 won’t disappoint.
- Comes with a remote for easy control.
- Has a slim design that helps to save space.
- It works quietly, even at the highest setting.
- The LED display is large enough to be read by the elderly and visually impaired.
- Not ideal for large rooms
- The LED display is too bright at night
The Homech HM-TF001 tower fan is worth considering is you are looking for a tower fan that not only cools your home but is also highly portable and offers multiple air circulation modes.
3. TaoTronics TT-TF001 Tower Fan
TaoTronics TT-TF001 Tower Fan is a portable, 65-degree oscillating cool air fan that can distribute the air in a space with a velocity of 20 feet per second. The fan is equipped with 3 fan speeds (high, medium, and low) and 3 modes (normal, natural, sleep) which together offer 9 different airflow settings.
With its compact design and child safety features, you can comfortably use the TaoTronics TT-TF001 tower fan in your living room or bedroom. It increases airflow and circulation within a short time, therefore, cooling any room better than most fans.
In addition to its incredible settings, the tower fan has a remote control and an LED display that makes it easier to monitor the temperature.
- Comes with a remote control that makes it easy to operate the fan from anywhere.
- Has nine different airflow settings to meet multiple cooling needs.
- Easy to carry around and direct the airflow anywhere you want it.
- Has a very bright display LED that can’t be turned off unless you are on night mode.
- Those who love everything quiet at night will find the night mode a bit noisy.
If you want a space-saving and multifunctional fan that gives you multiple cooling needs, the TaoTronics Tower Fan is worth considering.
4. Vornado 660 Large Whole Room Air Circulator Fan
Vornado 660 is one of the best fans to cool a room to a maximum distance of 100 feet. This air circulator has 4-speed settings, a 90-degree tilt, and deep-pitched contoured blades that help to maximize the amount of air that moves in a room.
With its stylish chrome glide bar, you can turn the Vornado 660 to direct the air anywhere you need it. You’ll enjoy the powerful vortex action, multi-directional airflow, and simple controls. Besides, you can switch between vertical and horizontal airflow positions.
- Comes with a 5-year warranty.
- It offers multidirectional airflow (vertical and horizontal.
- Its detachable grille makes it easy to access and maintain the blades.
- It is loud on the highest speed setting.
- Doesn’t oscillate, meaning that the fans accumulate dust.
If you need an inexpensive fan that can blow cold air in an entire room within a minutes, then choose the Vornado 660 whole-room air circulator fan.
5. Lasko U12104 Pro Pivoting Utility Fan
The Lasko U12104 Pro Pivoting Utility Fan is one of the best fans that feel like air conditioners, for a good reason. This high-velocity fan is ideal for use in large rooms, workshops, commercial spaces, and job sites.
This high-velocity utility fan can help you beat the heat in very hot environments. The Lasko U12104 unit has a pivoting blower head that directs a cool breeze in any direction you want. Some of its features include 3-speed settings, 305 CFM, manual controls, and an easy-grip carry handle.
- It works well in tight spaces where fresh air is essential.
- You can use it to dry carpets, floors, furniture, and walls.
- Very easy to use
- It is small, compact, and space-saving.
- It produces a loud rattle even on the low setting.
- Has manual controls only
If you choose the Lasko U12104 Pro, you are getting a utility fan that moves an exceptional amount of air and allows you to stay cool throughout the day.
Features to look for in a cool air fan
Some of the best features to consider in fans that blow cold air include:
- Fan speeds: An ideal fan should have variable speeds. Consider buying one that allows you to select the right speed and mode to produce an ideal amount of cool air.
- Oscillation: This allows the fan to turn on a horizontal axis. That way, it can cover a large area both on the right and left. However, this factor will also depend on where you will place the fan. If you choose to position it in a corner, oscillation will not be necessary.
- Tilt: it helps to guide the direction of the airflow. With this factor, it will control the vertical axis of the fan. As a result, it will help to direct the flow of air lower or higher.
Other features to consider are a noise level of less than 50 dB and low wattage to ensure it does not consume a lot of electricity.
How to make a fan blow colder air
You can make your fan blow colder air in different ways. These include:
Place it on a tall window
Placing the fan high on a tall window will help to eliminate hot air from your room. When doing so, ensure the unit is facing out of the window. Since hot air rises, the appliance will push it out if raised on a higher level.
Switch the direction of your fan
If you are using a ceiling fan, consider switching its direction to anticlockwise instead of clockwise. The unit will operate by blowing warm air around the room. It will then push cold air downwards and create a cool breeze.
Use ice cubes
In this case, place the fan on the ground. Put a bucket of ice cubes in front of the unit. As the appliance blows air over the ice, it will cause a cooling process. If you do not have ice, use a wet piece of cloth and position it over the front of the fan.
Do tower fans blow cold air?
A tower fan is one of the best cooling options to go for on a hot day. The unit features a unique construction that allows for wider coverage of air circulation. When it is operating, it will deliver cool fresh air within a few monies. It will oscillate from right to left and push hot air outwards.
Understand that a tower fan is different from an air conditioner. That is because it works by creating airflow in space, thus ensuring the best breeze. The flow of air created by the unit tends to be horizontal, which allows reliable and even distribution of air.
These are the best fans that cool like air conditioners. These units can bring a smooth and powerful airflow around your home. They also come with many features that make it convenient for you to control and operate them. Make sure to select what works best for you.
Related Buying Guides