An efficient way of improving the air quality inside your apartment or house is to use an air purifier. With the advancement of technology, you can now get a smart air purifier with Alexa compatibility. This air purifier will not only filter the air inside your home but also give you real-time information regarding the quality of air in your home.
A smart air purifier is not very different from a traditional air purifier. The difference is that the former gives you better control of the purifier and feedback on the indoor air quality.
Smart air purifiers come with a mobile app for automated access. With the app, you can switch on or change settings on your air purifier from any location, even if you are away from home.
Just like any new technology, some brands have done it better than others. To help you steer clear of inferior smart air purifiers, we have done extensive research and listed down the top 5 best smart air purifiers that work with Alexa.
Things to consider when choosing an air purifier that works with Alexa
Keep these things in mind when buying an air purifier:
Type of filters
Go for an air purifier that has HEPA filters. These are more efficient and capable of getting rid of 99.97% of airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns. Most air purifiers nowadays have more than one filter. However, the HEPA filter is one of the best and should be among those filters.
Measure the size of the room you intend to use your air purifier and choose one that can cover the entire space. The last thing you want is to move your air purifier often or get a second one to purify the entire space.
Go for an air purifier whose noise level is less than 50 decibels. You don’t want an air purifier that hums so loud that you can’t get anything else going. In fact, if you intend to use it in the bedroom or overnight, go for the lowest noise level or one that has a night mode.
A good air purifier has at least three-speed settings namely: low, medium, and high. A lower speed allows for continued cleaning, medium for less noise and disturbances, and higher for maximum purification.
The best air purifiers that work with Alexa – buying guide
These are the best air purifiers that are compatible with Amazon Alexa.
1. RabbitAir MinusA2 SPA-780N Air Purifier – Best Overall
RabbitAir MinusA2 SPA-780N is the best smart air purifier that works with Alexa. This air purifier is designed to protect your home against germs, airborne bacteria, mold spores, and other particles that carry viruses.
The MinusA2 SPA-780N comes with an advanced HEPA filtration system that offers up to six stages of deodorization and purification. It can cover rooms of up to 815 square feet. Some of its features include Wi-Fi connectivity, LED light display, sleep mode, five-speed settings, and remote control.
- Has an advanced 6-stage HEPA filtration system that purifies and deodorizes air.
- It can trap particles as small as 0.3 microns with 99.97% efficiency.
- Can be used for many purposes including the elimination of smoke, odors, and mold spores.
- You can mount it on a wall or place it to stand on its own.
- Effective up to 815 square feet.
- Noise levels can reach 51.3 dB at the high settings. You have to run it on the low at night.
The RabbitAir MinusA2 SPA-780N air purifier is the best if you are in the hunt for the best smart air purifier that works with Alexa. It excels in ease of use, filtration method, efficiency in purifying indoor air, and durability.
2. Levoit LV-PUR131S Smart Wi-Fi Air Purifier – Best Value for Money
Levoit LV-PUR131S is one of the most advanced and highly efficient air purifiers on the market today. It is a smart Wi-Fi air purifier that comes with an H13 True HEPA filter and activated carbon filter.
You can use the Levoit LV-PUR131S as a smoke eater, odor eliminator, and pollen and dust remover. If you are looking for a device to help you steer clear of allergic reactions, then this air purifier fits the bill.
Even better, it covers rooms of up to 900 square feet. You can use it with Alexa and Google Home Assistant to control the unit via a mobile app on a stable 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network.
- Quicker to respond to voice commands than many other units
- It has an auto feature that turns it on or off depending on the air quality
- Has a sleep mode that very quiet (about 27dB).
- Has a timer that you can set or schedule when it to purify your home.
- You can’t control all features via Alexa
- Steep learning curve due to the availability of multiple features
The Levoit LV-PUR131S is the best air purifier that is Alexa compatible if you need an air purifier that provides great value for money. It is ideal for medium to large rooms and works effectively to remove allergens, contaminants, and odors.
3. Coway Airmega 300S – best for Large Rooms
The Coway Airmega 300S is a smart air purifier designed to clean large spaces of up to 1256 square feet. The air purifier comes with effective activated carbon and True HEPA filters. These filters are helpful in capturing and reducing up to 99.97% of particles as small as 0.3 microns such as pollen, allergens, and pollutants.
Interestingly, the Coway Airmega 300S is equipped with a pollution sensor that communicates indoor air quality testing in real-time. Other notable features include five fan modes, timer, Alexa and Google Home Assistant compatibility, and a filter lifetime indicator.
- It can reduce VOCs and fumes like ammonia and acetaldehyde.
- It blends with any décor easily.
- When paired with Alexa, you can control most of its features from anywhere.
- The pairing process isn’t as easy as with other models.
- Its replacement filters are pricey.
If you need a great air purifier to eliminate odors, smoke, and contaminants from large rooms, then get the Coway Airmega 300S.
4. Winix AM90 Wi-Fi Air Purifier – Best for Small Rooms
Winix has always been a reliable air purifier brand and they don’t disappoint with the AM90 either. One captivating feature about this air purifier is that it comes with Plasma Wave technology, besides being smart.
Plasma Wave breaks down allergens, odors, chemical vapors, and pollutants at a molecular level. When in operation, it creates hydroxyls to neutralize viruses and bacteria.
Furthermore, the air purifier has a washable fine mesh pre-filter, activated carbon, and True HEPA filters. These work in tandem to improve air quality in any room. When paired with Alexa, you get more than just a smart air purifier. You can easily control most features from anywhere.
- Ideal for small to medium-sized rooms of up to 360 square feet.
- It runs quietly.
- Has the Plasma Wave technology which is effective at breaking down allergens and contaminants.
- There are reports of bugs with Alexa integration in some models.
- The scheduling feature can fail to work sometimes.
If you want a smart air purifier that is inexpensive, uses less power, and has a washable pre-filter, buy the Winix AM90.
5. Blueair Classic 480i Air Purifier
The air purifier comes with a True HEPA filter that can capture airborne pollutants like dust, mold, pet dander, and pollen. Blueair Classic 480i also has dual protection filters made using activated coconut carbon, which can remove gaseous particles and smoke.
With this air purifier, you will enjoy great features including air quality sensors, Wi-Fi connectivity, and Alexa compatibility.
- It is easy to control the air purifier using your smartphone.
- Has a steel body that is guaranteed to last longer.
- Its filters are recyclable and last up to six months before replacement.
- Expensive compared to similar units.
- It is quite loud, operating between 32 – 52dB.
The Blueair Classic 480i smart air purifier is durable, easy to control, and effectively helps to improve air quality in any room.
Features to consider when buying a smart air purifier
Some features of the best air purifier that works with Alexa include:
- Timer: A timer will allow you to set the device for a specific period. That will force it to turn on or off automatically, whether you are around or not.
- Remote control: The device helps you to change the settings of the unit from across the room. It also gives you better control of the device.
- Sleep mode: If the fan has lights, sleep mode will turn down the fan lights or dim them to allow you to sleep better at night.
Also, consider one that comes with a filter indicator light since it will tell you when you need to change the filters.
How to connect an air purifier to Alexa
The steps for connecting an air purifier to Alexa will differ based on the model you are using. The good thing is that most of these air purifiers come with a user manual that you can use while pairing with Alexa. Consider referring to the document to avoid mistakes.
Alexa commands for air purifiers
Alexa commands for air purifiers vary from one brand to another. Some of the commands for the devices listed above are:
- Alexa, turn on [air purifier name].
- Alexa, set [air purifier name] fan speed to high.
- Alexa, set mode on [air purifier name] to auto.
Other commands you can try include Alexa, what is the air quality on (name of air purifier)? Alexa, turn off all lights on (name of air purifier).
- Alexa, ask Airmega to turn on the device.
- Alexa, ask Airmega to turn off the device.
- Alexa, ask Airmega to activate the smart mode.
You can also try Alexa, ask Airmega to activate the sleep mode, and Alexa, ask Airmega to set the two-hour sleep timer.
- Alexa, ask WINIX to turn on my air purifier.
- Alexa, ask WINIX for speed setting to low (or medium, high, turbo, auto, sleep mode)
- Alexa, ask WINIX to turn on plasma-wave.
Once connected, you can also say ‘Alexa, ask WINIX for filter status’ or ‘Alexa, ask WINIX for the filter type of my air purifier.’
- Alexa, ask Blueair about the air quality.
- Alexa, ask Blueair to start cleaning.
- Alexa, ask Blueair to run on max speed.
Another command you can use is – Alexa, ask Blueair to turn off the light.
A smart air purifier with Alexa compatibility gives you better control of air quality in your home. However, choosing a great air purifier isn’t easy. With this guide, we have made it simpler for you to choose based on the size of your room, filters, and noise level, among others.