Every bird owner will agree that keeping pet birds is an exciting experience; they are colorful, can be very engaging, and are wonderful companions. However, one of the things you will need to worry about with a pet bird in your house is the indoor air quality.
Birds produce dander – feathers and dust particles – which can be uncomfortable, not to mention a health risk for people with allergies.
Birds also have very sensitive respiratory systems and can be affected by chemical compounds and other pollutants in the air, sometimes even to the point of death. It is important to maintain fresh air in your home – for the sake of your health, as well as that of your pet bird. One of the most effective ways is by using the best air purifiers for bird owners.
Top 6 air purifiers for bird owners in 2022
Several air purifiers can help reduce bird dander and dust from your home. This list will save you a lot of trouble researching the best product to buy.
This is our pick of 6 of the best air purifiers for bird owners.
- Alen BreatheSmart 45i (Most effective)
- Medify MA-40 (Best value for money)
- Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 (Latest technology)
- Oransi Max (Best for those with allergies)
- Whirlpool WPPRO2000M (Ideal for medium-sized rooms)
- Whirlpool Whispure WP1000 (Quiet operation)
1. Alen BreatheSmart 45i HEPA Air Purifier – Most Effective
The Alen BreatheSmart 45i with HEPA filters is the best air purifier for bird owners who want to eliminate bird dander completely. Although it is slightly more expensive than its competition, it will serve you better and longer.
This air purifier for bird owners comes with a super-efficient HEPA filter that can purify the air in large rooms up to the size of 800 square feet. It also features a premium filter material, which captures airborne pollutants down to 0.3 microns.
However, one of the downsides of the Alen BreathSmart Air Purifier is its size. At 10” by 17.8” by 26.8” and weighing 21 pounds, it is quite bulky, which makes mobility a problem.
2. Medify MA-40 Medical Grade Air Purifier – Value for Money
If you want an air purifier that is affordable and yet very effective, the Medify MA-40 is your ideal choice. It comes with H13 True HEPA filters, which offer medical-grade air filtration. It also boasts of fast fans, that can purify rooms of up to 1,300 square feet in an hour.
However, one of the downsides you have to contend with when you buy the Medify MA-40 air purifier is a noisy operation, especially at full fan speeds.
3. Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier – Latest Technology
If the indoor air quality of your home is exceptionally bad due to bird dander, dust, and other pollutants, the Rabbit Air BioGS 2.0 air purifier is a great choice. It features four filter mechanisms – a pre-filter, a BioGS HEPA filter, an activated carbon filter, and an ion generator. These work together to remove even the smallest of airborne particle pollutants.
However, despite the excellent performance, the air purifier is relatively expensive, coming at around $400. The filters are also pricey, with each change taking you back about $90.
4. Oransi Max HEPA Large Room Air Purifier – Best for Bird Dander Allergies
If you suffer from bird dander allergies, the Oransi Max Air Purifier can help you breathe comfortably while still allowing you to keep your pet bird.
It is one of the top bird dust air purifiers on the market, which comes equipped with a high-performance HEPA filter that captures up to 98% of airborne particle pollutants in the air. It also features a pre-filter and an activated carbon filter, which increases the efficiency of the air purifier.
On the downsides, however, the Oransi Max can be quite noisy, given that it is designed for large rooms and thus comes with large fans and a powerful motor.
5. Whirlpool WPPRO2000M Whispure –Best for Medium-sized Rooms
Are you in the market for a mid-range air purifier that delivers an impressive performance? Look no further than the Whirlpool WPPR2000M Whispure air purifier.
Equipped with a True HEPA filter, an active carbon filter, and a strong fan and motor (with Turbo option), this unit delivers great performance, purifying up to 508 square feet in just a few minutes. It also comes with a smart that adjusts the unit according to your environment.
While the performance of the unit is great, you will have to contend with higher energy consumption, as it is rated at 115W. Our list of the best air purifiers for bird owners couldn’t be complete without the Whirlpool WPPRO2000M.
6. Whirlpool Whispure Air Purifier WP1000 – Most Quiet
Another impressive air purifier from the Whirlpool brand, the Whispure WP1000 model is an impressive air purifier that delivers excellent performance in large rooms thanks to its quality filters and high circulation rate.
It comes with a True HEPA filter that captures up to 99.97 or airborne particles. It also comes with a strong fan with three different speed settings and an optional turbo mode for rooms with exceptional poor air quality.
While the performance is good, the Whirlpool Whispure WP1000 air purifier has one drawback – a higher energy consumption with a power rating of 110 watts when running on Turbo mode.
What to consider when choosing an air purifier?
Having trouble choosing an air purifier that is suited for your pet bird? Below is a look at some of the top factors to consider to ensure you pick the right product.
- An efficient filter: One of the top things to look out for is a good air filter that is large in size and made using high-quality filter material. This will help to guarantee the effective removal of bird dander and dust from your home. A HEPA air purifier can be a good choice.
- Good airflow: On top of an efficient filter, you need good airflow to maintain a high-quality indoor area. If your house doesn’t have good natural airflow, a good fan and motor in your air purifier will compensate for the deficit.
- Safety: You need a bird-safe air purifier to guarantee the health and safety of your birds. An ozone generator – which produces a gas that can be harmful to living things – is thus not a good idea.
Got the right air purifier for bird dander?
If you are looking for the best air purifiers for bird owners, the above are some of the best options to consider. While there are lots of more options on the market, these units have met the consumers’ desires in terms of performance, affordability, ease of use, safety for birds, and more.