After firefighters contain a wildfire, you may have to deal with the resultant ash or smoke if you live around the area. This can be quite a challenge.
Depending on the severity of the fire, it may take weeks or months to clear the air of the pollutants. That may cause long-term health complications since you will be breathing in the ash or smoke that remains.
To protect yourself and your family, you need to use the best air purifier for wildfire smoke that can remove smoke particles from the air.
Smoke contains particulate matter and carbon monoxide that is hazardous to human health. To avoid breathing them, you need an air purifier specially designed to filter out smoke, especially thick forest fire smoke.
Most of the units available today are effective at reducing carbon monoxide and particle pollution, but very few can handle thick smoke. That’s why we have created this guide -to help you settle for the best device. But first, here are a couple of things to keep in mind.
Things to consider when choosing air purifiers for wildfire smoke
How many microns is wildfire smoke? That is the first thing to determine before buying an air filter. Ideally, particles from smoke can be small, between 0.4 and 0.7 microns. Thus, you need a unit that can trap particles as small as 0.3 microns. Also, consider the following factors.
- HEPA Filter – An HEPA filter reduces particle concentrations by 85%.
- CADR of 200 – Its Clean Air Delivery Rate rating should be at least 200. The rating will measure the volume of air that can pass through the unit and it is helpful in determining the efficiency of the model.
- MERV of 12 or higher – Its Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value should be 12 or higher. It will be more effective at controlling most airborne indoor particles.
Best air purifiers for wildfire smoke for 2022
The best air purifiers to use for the elimination of wildfire smoke and odors that come with it are:
|1,560||22 - 43.2|
|Alen BreatheSmart |
|1,100||32 - 48|
|RabbitAir MinusA2||815||21 - 45|
|Austin Air A250B1|
(Best for small homes)
|700||50 - 67|
|AeraMax 300||600||35 - 55|
1. Coway Airmega 400 Smart Air Purifier
When in use, it will clean the air two times in one hour. Some of its features include:
- Has a True HEPA filter and activated carbon
- Pollution sensor that communicates indoor air quality in real-time
- Five fan modes: High, Medium, Low, Sleep, and Smart
- Timer for up to eight hours
- Smart Mode Settings
2. Alen BreatheSmart Classic Large Room Air Purifier
The Alen BreatheSmart Classic is an air purifier for large and extra-large rooms. It can filter out forest fire smoke and is one of the best air purifiers for asthma, mold, germs, dust, harsh odors, fumes, and pet odors.
Some of its features include:
- Timer option with three settings
- Particle air sensor on the side to detect allergens in the air
- Auto mode setting to adjust fan speeds for smooth operations
- HEPA-Pure filter for removing allergens, pet dander, and dust
3. RabbitAir MinusA2 Ultra Quiet HEPA Air Purifier
The RabbitAir MinusA2 is an air purifier fitted with a HEPA filter for wildfire smoke. It is a stylish and efficient unit that can eliminate odors and also trap and reduce smells from cigars, cigarettes, and pets. It can also trap and reduce airborne bacteria, mold spores, and particles that carry viruses.
Its features include:
- Customized HEPA Filter
- CADR of 200 Pollen, 180 Smoke
- Wall mount kit
4. Austin Air A250B1 HealthMate Plus Junior Air Purifier
If you are looking for the best air purifier to remove wildfire smoke in a small room, consider the Austin Air A250B1. It specializes in the reduction of noxious gases, harmful chemicals, formaldehyde, VOCs, and sub-micron particles.
The unit utilizes broad-spectrum absorption, which offers better protection for people exposed to smoke from wildfires and those that are sensitive to specific gases and chemicals found at home.
5. AeraMax 300
The unit can eliminate mold, odors, smoke, allergens, dust, and germs from the air using its True HEPA filter. AeraMAX 300 is also effective at purifying the air due to its 4-stage purification process.
Keep your family safe from wildfire smoke
The best air purifier for wildfire smoke works by capturing small particles in the air that is not visible to the human eye. They trap the particles in a heavy mat of fine fibers. When in use, they will draw in the polluted air, trap the smoke, ash, and particles, and then produce clean air. That will ensure you breathe fresh air and stay healthy.